Who has never had a headache?
In fact, headaches are extremely common, to many, headache management is a great challenge! Headache is one of the most frequent reasons for patients to visit family doctors and neurologists, and it affects us from all ages and sex.
There are different forms of headaches including:
- Tension-type headaches, mostly begins slowly above the eyes and can radiate to front and back of the head.
- Migraine headaches, range from mild to severe, often associated with other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and over sensitive senses.
- Cluster headaches, affects one side of the head and can be extremely painful
- Organic headaches, caused by intracranial illnesses such as sinus infections, ear infections, and brain tumors.
- Rebound headaches, caused by medication overuse.
Over-the-counter and prescription drugs are still the most common treatment methods, but for millions of people suffering from headaches, some cannot take drugs, and others just do not help.
Much research has been conducted on whether or not acupuncture works in helping patients with headaches. Research has concluded that acupuncture is very effective in the treatment of headaches. Some believe acupuncture can stimulate the nervous system and cause the release of neurochemical messenger molecules, and others have found that certain acupuncture points can affect the brain area known for sensitivity to pain and stress.
In order to find the most effective treatment plan, we will first find out the cause(s) of the headaches from a traditional Chinese Medicine perspective. These include imbalance of the internal organs, meridians blockages, external pathogens, Qi, blood, dampness, and many other possibilities.
Treatment plans vary depending on the type of headaches and Chinese medicine diagnoses, and it is especially important for patients suffering from chronic headaches to adherence to the treatment plan. In some cases, maintenance sessions are needed and Chinese herbal medicine be recommended in order to maintain the energy balance and prevent recurrence of headaches.
At ACATCM, we are committed to providing results-driven premier quality care to our patients. To discuss your health and wellness needs, contact our College Clinic at: 403-286-8788.