Depression is a mental disorder that is increasingly affecting more people worldwide. Depression may be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable, or down in the dumps. Most of us feel this way at one time or another for short periods.
True clinical depression is a mood disorder in which feelings of sadness, loss, anger, or frustration interfere with everyday life for weeks or longer.
Depression is a health condition that not only affects the person suffering from the depression but also adversely affects those around them. Depression can happen to any person belonging to any gender at anytime due to several reasons. However some studies have indicated that women are more vulnerable to depression then men.
Symptoms of depression can include:
- Agitation, restlessness, and irritability
- Becoming withdrawn or isolated
- Difficulty concentrating
- Dramatic change in appetite, often with weight gain or loss
- Fatigue and lack of energy
- Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
- Feelings of worthlessness, self-hate, and guilt
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities that were once enjoyed
- Thoughts of death or suicide
- Trouble sleeping or too much sleeping.
If depression is very severe, there may also be psychotic symptoms, such as hallucinations and delusions.
Acupuncture has been found to be effective for treating depression. Acupuncture is based on the fact that two opposing forces are present in the human body. One is the active and masculine force known as yang. The other is the passive and feminine force known as yin. For the human body to function normally, it is very important to have the perfect balance between these two opposing forces. Any amount of imbalance can make the human body susceptible to various health conditions
Acupuncture helps in a natural way for stimulating the central nervous system and increasing the production of naturally occurring chemicals in the body like endorphins and encephalin, which are responsible for a person's mood and feeling of well being etc.
After effects of acupuncture are:
- Emotional balance, calmed body and mind
- Improvement of overall health and well-being
- Improved mental conditions and enhanced concentration
- Reduced pain and muscle tension
- Enriched sleep
- A positive feeling about self, more interest in life
- Increased energy
- Improved ability to handle changes and problems in life easily
Results from an acupuncture treatment for depression can vary from person to person. This can be due to many conditions includes lifestyle, actual extent of the condition, diet and other habits of the individual. Some patients will require a handful of treatments before they start to notice a difference. Take care to undergo the complete course of the treatment required and do not leave it mid way.
Remember if you are seeking acupuncture for depression; always seek treatment from a registered acupuncture practitioner. If your acupuncturist is not medically qualified, you can end up incurring several other health conditions.
At ACATCM, we are committed to providing results-driven premier quality care to our patients. To discuss your health and wellness needs, contact our College Clinic at: 403-286-8788.