On the medial aspect of the foot, posterior to the medial malleolus, in the depression between the tip of the medial malleolus and tendo calcaneus.
- Yuan-Source point of the Kidney Meridian
- Shu-Stream point of the Kidney Meridian
- Sore throat, haemoptysis, irregular menses.
- Deafness/tinnitus, asthma/cough, diabetes, insomnia, seminal emission, impotence, urinary frequency, pain in low back, paralysis of lower limb, constipation, breast abscess, dark yellow urine, cardiac pain, cold limbs, thirst/sticky mouth, neuraesthenia, uterine diseases, cold shan.
- Nephritis, cystitis, enuresis, alopecia, pain in the sole of foot, dizziness, spasms of diaphgragm, infantile convulsions, chronic malaria, kidney disease, heat disease with copious sweating, severe emaciation; dyspnoea and coughing fits, severe jaundice, vomiting abundant glairy mucus, vomiting, diarrhoea, pain in abdomen and flanks, branching fullness in the chest and lateral costal region, pulmonary empyema, damp itch and sores on the inside of the thigh, pruritis.
Tonifies the Kidneys (Yin and Yang), strengthens the low back, relieves heel/ankle pain.
KID 3 is important to use for any Kidney deficiency pattern. Clinically, Yuan-Source points are of great significance in treating diseases of the internal organs. Yuan-Source points are the sites where the Yuan (Primary) qi of the Zang-Fu organs passes and stays. Puncturing the Yuan-Source points stimulates the vital energy of the regular meridians, regulates the functional activities of the internal organs, reinforces antipathogenic factors and eliminates pathogenic factors. This method of treating diseases deals principally with the root causes. The Yuan (source) point from the affected meridian is often combined with the Luo (Connecting) point of the internally-externally related meridians in use. Shu-Stream points are where the qi starts to pour down the meridian. They are known to alleviate heaviness and pain in the joints. On Yin Meridians, Shu-Stream points are identical to the actions of Yuan-Source points.
Perpendicular insertion .5 - 1.0 cun.