Research Centre

Temporary Accommodations:

Here are a few suggestions for temporary housing in Calgary.

  • Hotel Alma: 169 University Gate NW, Calgary. Phone: 1-877-498-3208
  • Calgary International Youth Hostel: 520- 7ave SE, Calgary. Phone: 1-866-762-4122 or 1-403-670-7580
  • Holiday Inn &Suites: 2373 Banff Trail NW, Calgary. Phone: 1-877-660-8550
  • Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton: 2231 Banff Trail NW, Calgary. Phone: 1-888-432-6777
  • Aloft Calgary University: 2359 Banff Trail NW, Calgary. Phone: 403-289-1973


Longterm Accommodations:

There are many condos, apartments and houses to rent in Calgary. Here are some of the website contains longterm rental information:

  • Calgary is located in the province of Alberta in Canada
  • The city leads in Canada for technology start-up companies and Internet connection with over 187,000 km of installed fibre optics
  • Canada’s best selling cocktail, the Bloody Caesar, was invented in Calgary
  • Calgary is located at 1,139 metres (3,740 feet) above sea level
  • Calgary is Western Canada’s transportation and distribution hub
  • Calgary is home to over 135 corporate head offices, the highest per capita in Canada
  • Calgary has the youngest, best educated workforce in Canada - 60% of Calgarians have post secondary education
  • There is no provincial sales tax in Alberta
  • Calgary has over 8,000 hectares of park land within the city limits and the beautiful Canadian Rockies are just an hour away
  • The Globe and Mail recently ranked the Calgary Folk Music Festival among the Seven Musical Wonders of the World
  • Ginger Beef was created in Calgary in 1974 by a chef at the Silver Inn
  • Every year, over 1 million people visit the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, the Calgary Stampede. It’s held for 10 days, and is the largest outdoor event in the world
  • Currency used in Calgary is the Canadian dollar
  • Canadian appliances operate on 110 volts (60Hz), which is identical to the US voltage
  • Canada is a bilingual country (English and French) but English is the predominant language spoken in Calgary. However, Calgary is very diverse and there are a whopping 120 languages spoken in the city.
  • Calgary is in the Mountain Time Zone and observes Daylight Savings from March through November
  • Due to its grassland, the city is still referred to as cow town
  • Calgary is the cleanest city in the world….Cow Town or not, it seems that the cowboys cleanup real well after all.
  • The average age in Calgary is 35.7 years. Like in all youthful cities, you can expect partying, sports, romance and a sizzling entertainment scene
  • You have a great cause that you want to have volunteers work on? Well Calgary has more volunteers per capita than any other city in the world
  • The warm wind of Calgary (Chinook) can raise the temperatures from a low of 5 degree centigrade to highs of 15 degrees in a matter of hours

Banks in Canada charge different fees for the same type of service. Look up monthly service charges, telephone and computer banking options, transaction charges, and interest to find the bank whose services best meet your needs.

What should I take with me to open a bank account?

  1. Your passport or birth certificate
  2. A second piece of identification (e.g. study permit)
  3. Money to deposit
  4. Your ACATCM Student ID card to be eligible for special student plans

Note: Banks have staff available to help when you apply for an account. Ask about student rates and plans.

Automatic Banking Machines (ABM) or Automatic Teller Machines (ATM)

  • When you open an account, you receive a plastic ATM/Debit/Bank card. You will also be asked to choose a password called a "personal identification number" or PIN.
  • Bank machines are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
  • You can do all of your routine banking e.g. withdraw cash, deposit cash or cheques, pay bills, check transactions.
  • There is an extra charge for using an ATM that does not belong to your bank (up to $3).

Telephone Banking and Internet Banking (Online/PC Banking)

  • You can go online or use the telephone to pay bills, get your current account balance, hear or see your last five or 10 transactions and transfer money between accounts.
  • You need your bank card and to choose a different password for telephone banking and internet banking.
  • Contact your bank for assistance.

Interac Direct Payment

You can pay for your purchases using your plastic bank card in stores. You withdraw funds from your account and transfer them directly to the retailer using your bank card and password.

Pre-Authorized Payments

You can choose to have your bills paid by "Pre-Authorized Debit" where money is automatically transferred from your bank account to pay your bills. Ask your bank about this option.

Where can I get help managing expenses?

  • Prepare a BUDGET and follow it as closely as possible. Include allowances for all possible expenses in your budget, such as dental emergencies and travelling home.
  • For help preparing a budget and questions about expenses, talk to an International Student Advisor.

Why do I need to apply for medical insurance?

Medical or dental treatment in Canada is not free. All ACATCM international students need to have adequate insurance to cover any medical care or accidents while they are in Canada.

What are my options for medical insurance?

If you are studying in Canada for more than 12 months, you are eligible to register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), the basic insurance coverage for all Albertans. This plan is free of charge and covers visits to the doctor, lab costs, hospital costs if you are admitted to hospital.

AHCIP does not cover:

  • Prescription drugs
  • Rehabilitation needs
  • Dental services
  • Ambulance transport

At ACATCM, students are eligible to receive 10 free acupuncture treatments per academic year.

Calgary has an extensive network of multi-user pathways, which are only for pedestrians and cyclists, and on-street bikeways, which are on streets designated as a bike route. Bikeways are either clearly indicated by signs, have wide curb lanes and bike sharrows or have painted bike lanes.

Paper copies of the current pathway and bikeways map are available at all City of Calgary Recreation Aquatic and Fitness and Leisure Centres.

For further information go to, and type in pathways and bikeways.

Calgary Transit (buses and c-trains)

Calgary has over 1100 buses that operate throughout the city. There are 160 routes plus five Bus Rapid Transit routes. These buses average at higher speeds and have fewer stops.

With 56 kilometres of track and 44 stations on two lines, the CTrain can help connect you to where you want to go.

The Red Line, runs from Crowfoot in the northwest to Somerset-Bridlewood in the south, and the Blue Line, starts at Saddletowne in the northeast and travels to 69 Street in the west.

The CTrain travels downtown along 7 Avenue between City Hall and West/Kerby Stations. This stretch of the CTrain system is our free fare zone. This means that you can hop on for free when traveling along 7 Avenue. Make sure you purchase your fare if you’re traveling outside of downtown.

There are a variety of payment options available-cash, tickets, day passes or monthly passes.

For more information click on the following link:



The following is an excerpt from the Government of Alberta - Service Alberta Website.

To drive in Alberta, you must have your valid home jurisdiction driver’s license and an International Driver's Permit. You may drive in Alberta for up to 1 year.

You should also carry a copy of your valid study permit and a current enrolment verification letter from the Alberta College of Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine in order to drive legally in Alberta.

If you plan to purchase a vehicle in Alberta, you will require an Alberta Driver’s License. You may apply for this once you arrive in Alberta and you will need to do so in order to qualify for auto insurance. Depending on how long you have been driving in your home country and the country that issued your license, you may have to take both a written test and a driving test to qualify for an Alberta Driver’s license.

  • Find a Registry Agent - who issues driver's licenses. If you have a car accident that results in personal injury or property damage over $1000, you must notify the police. You must remain at the scene of the accident until it is cleared by the police.
  • Seat belts: Wearing a seat belt is mandatory for the driver and passengers at all times. Passengers over age 18 are fined if they are not wearing a seat belt. The driver is fined if children are not wearing seat belts.
  • Speed limits: are in kilometers per hour (km/h). Urban and populated areas range from 30-60 km/h; 100 km/h on city highways. Speed limits are well posted.
  • Hitchhiking: is not allowed on major highways. It is not advised anywhere.
  • Car Rentals: You may rent a car using either your Alberta Driver’s License or your license from your home country. However, different car rental companies have their own policies regarding who may rent cars in the province. Generally the cheapest rates are usually offered to drivers 25 years of age and older. Younger drivers may be subject to additional fees. Most companies will require you to have a credit card in order to reserve and rent a car, as well as at least two pieces of Government-issued photo identification in addition to your driver’s license. Contact rental companies directly.

Copyright © 2018 Alberta College of Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine.
1910 - 20 Ave NW, Main Floor #102
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2M 1H5
Powered by Alberta College of Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine. All Rights Reserved.