Transportation and Driving

Calgary has an extensive network of multi-use pathways, which are only for pedestrians and cyclists, and on-street bikeways, which are on streets designated as a bike route. Bikeways are either clearly indicated by signs, have wide curb lanes and bike sharrows or have painted bike lanes.

Paper copies of the current pathway and bikeways map are available at all City of Calgary Recreation Aquatic and Fitness and Leisure Centers.

For further information, go to and type in pathways and bikeways.

Calgary Transit (buses and c-trains)

Calgary has over 1100 buses that operate throughout the city. There are 160 routes plus five Bus Rapid Transit routes. These buses average at higher speeds and have fewer stops.

With 56 kilometers of track and 44 stations on two lines, the C-Train can help connect you to where you want to go.

The Red Line runs from Crowfoot in the northwest to Somerset-Bridlewood in the south, and the Blue Line starts at Saddletowne in the northeast and travels to 69 Street in the west.

The CTrain travels downtown along 7 Avenue between City Hall and West/Kerby Stations. This stretch of the CTrain system is our free fare zone. This means that you can hop on for free when travelling along 7 Avenue. Make sure you purchase your fare if you’re travelling outside of downtown.

There are a variety of payment options available-cash, tickets, day passes or monthly passes.

For more information click on the following link:


The following is an excerpt from the Government of Alberta – Service Alberta Website.

To drive in Alberta, you must have your valid home jurisdiction driver’s license and an International Driver’s Permit. You may drive in Alberta for up to 1 year.

You should also carry a copy of your valid study permit and a current enrolment verification letter from the Alberta College of Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine in order to drive legally in Alberta.

If you plan to purchase a vehicle in Alberta, you will require an Alberta Driver’s License. You may apply for this once you arrive in Alberta and you will need to do so in order to qualify for auto insurance. Depending on how long you have been driving in your home country and the country that issued your license, you may have to take both a written test and a driving test to qualify for an Alberta Driver’s license.

  • Find a Registry Agent – who issues driver’s licenses. If you have a car accident that results in personal injury or property damage over $1000, you must notify the police. You must remain at the scene of the accident until it is cleared by the police.
  • Seat belts: Wearing a seat belt is mandatory for the driver and passengers at all times. Passengers over age 18 are fined if they are not wearing a seat belt. The driver is fined if children are not wearing seat belts.
  • Speed limits are in kilometres per hour (km/h). Urban and populated areas range from 30-60 km/h; 100 km/h on city highways. Speed limits are well posted.
  • Hitchhiking: is not allowed on major highways. It is not advised anywhere.
  • Car Rentals: You may rent a car using either your Alberta Driver’s License or your license from your home country. However, different car rental companies have their own policies regarding who may rent cars in the province. Generally, the cheapest rates are usually offered to drivers 25 years of age and older. Younger drivers may be subject to additional fees. Most companies will require you to have a credit card in order to reserve and rent a car, as well as at least two pieces of Government-issued photo identification in addition to your driver’s license. Contact rental companies directly.
Scroll to Top